Yesterday, a colleague of mine voiced out his complaints regarding the speed when we eat. Given the 30 minute allotted time for breaks, who wouldn't learn to eat as fast as Speed Racer's driving speed? But we all know this should not be the case.
Although accomplishing a record time of eating is quite admirable, there are numerous reasons as to why each of us should eat slower. Not only is speed eating a sign of a stressful and unhealthy living, it becomes a lifestyle to each of us that we carry on in our lives.
You can snap out of that unhealthy living by starting off by eating slower. How hard could it be? You take smaller sizes, chew slowly and longer, and you feel the play of the tastes of the food you just put in your mouth.
Easy enough? Let's take a look at other reasons to enjoy a good meal:
- Meal enjoyment - If you live by speed eating, you tend to just eat because your stomach needs to eat. You should be able to enjoy the food you bought or prepared. Why go through all the seasoning, spices, and hard work if you're just going to gobble it down in less than 30 minutes.
- Prevent indigestion - Who wants to have digestive problems? Eat slower so that your body can digest the food better.
- De-stress - Forget about what you're supposed to be doing. When you're eating, your time should be devoted to eating. Being conscious of the things that are happening right now rather than thinking of your to do list gives your brain and body some "down time".
- Weightloss - My favorite part. :) Studies show that by eating slower, you actually lose more weight even when you've skipped on your exercises. By eating slowly, you are consuming lesser food, and thus, lesser calories! :)
- Time for relationships - Eating slowly gives you more time to spend with people around you. It allows another facet of your life to come out for a walk. No doubt when you're at work, work is pretty much in the agenda. So just be on your break.
Perhaps these are such small reasons that you feel you can brush it off. But truth of the matter is, if you simply eat slower, you are making the first steps to having a slower more meaningful life. Speed and hype might feel really good, but in the end, it becomes unhealthy and a stressful.
Relax, enjoy your food... Live life!
Labels: eating, eating habits, food, Friday Fitness and Health, health, healthy living, improvement, lifestyle, nutrition